Why Cats Need 9 Lives....

Sunday, July 15, 2007

My Life 101: A New Reality?

I originally posted on my art blog about the extraordinary changes in my life lately, but now I've decided to create a separate blog for that whole topic and leave the art blog exclusively for the art I create. I'll re-post to here what I blogged:

It sure has been a long time since last I posted. I did mean to get my good friend Vanessa to guest-blog in my absence, but life got in the way of that.

I’ve been sick with the cellulitis in my leg again and banned off the computer again, just like in February. This time, I was given twice the antibiotic and stress-reduction therapy.

In the meantime, with nothing better to do, I worked on sorting financial and personal records and discovered that we are slowly but surely still leaking money. Monthly expenses keep rising by as much or more than what we can save by cutting back. The whole truth is that I sorted them so that I could fill out my homework for the therapy, and it was decided that I have a shopping addiction, and I was steered to a self-help group that meets at a hospital in Houston one night a week.

Okay, well, if it sounds like I practically blurted that out, I believe that I did. In 3 weeks, I have to admit that to the group and we get extra credit as it were to admit in public, like a blog or church group or whatever. I will explain further that it’s an addiction to scrapbooking / craft supplies. And I don’t dispute it, because when I saw what I’d spent in the last 4 years, who could deny it then? Yet, I am still in denial a bit. Or in awe or disbelief. Shock, maybe? I mean, we joke about this all the time in our scrapping community, but how many of us would be similarly diagnosed as I was? What percent? 75, perhaps?

I wonder if there are any other scrap supply addictions in my group. Based on my observations at my first meeting, I do know there are some QVC-type addicts and some gamblers, and the usual clothes/general merchandise addictions. It’s gonna be interesting. I'm to spend a little time in this group and then go back to a stress-reduction group for a while longer.

Now, I have to say I'm nowhere near as bad off as most of the folks in the group that I know about so far. Some had to file bankrupcy; some have been charged with crimes. Others like me are going voluntarily to see if it helps, with no requirements. I've got so much to do to get to the point that I can work again, and I can't if all I'm doing is scrapping or talking about it, LOL. I have to admit there were a few days there that I hated scrapbooking for being the temptation it is to me. It worked for a few years to be a SAHM who spent like I had a paycheck, but this last year has really caught up with it. Our energy and insurance costs have risen, and then there is Missy and her college costs. That's all I'm gonna say on that for now, my hearts already beating faster. I value security, I guess.

Oh, and this is pretty important. I have to stay off the internet as much as possible, as pertains to supplies and well, almost anything to do with scrapbooking. And I have set a goal to lose the rest of my weight by November and then start substitute-teaching in January. My rheumatologist has all but promised me I can try working again, as long as my numbers and symptoms continue to look good.

I’ve really got to help out the family right now. And I may not be able to do it, but I have to try and assume I can until proven otherwise.

I dunno, lots of food for thought. I have to go now, but if any of you are on the message boards I’m on, please post that this blog is probably the only place I’ll be for the next several weeks and months and maybe forever. I may find I can post a so-long or an update there later, but right now I have to follow the protocol.

I truly don’t know what it means in the short run for my scrapbooking. I know I won’t quit for good or anything, but this break I have had has been enjoyed by me. I am thinking about continuing that until scrapping is the more enjoyable thing. And I have no idea how this will change this blog, except it’s obvious I won’t be showing art on a regular basis.

Well, enough for one post. Have a great week, everyone. I’ll write more when I can......

No comments: