Why Cats Need 9 Lives....

Monday, August 27, 2007

Still on Track and Doing Good!

I know I have not blogged in days, but I've been doing my steps and eating healthy. Hubs and I don't go out to eat often at all, so I've been working off of a gameplan of eating up the raw foods (fruits and veggies) in the fridge bin before they spoil. This has proven to be helpful, LOL. Yup, no duh.

Of course, I'm about up to my neck in fruits and veggies and don't wanna see another one for a while. So, to outsmart my contrariness, I have adopted a strategy where I eat them first before anything else every day. Sorta like taking medicine. I doubt this can last forever, but I'll take it as long as it does.

Let's see, what has happened since last I blogged? OH! The biggest thing was that I dropped my pedometer into the toilet. That's right, the toilet. The good news about it was that I'd just finished cleaning the dang thing. The bad news about it was that a little bubble of water got into the LED so that it looked like a real live "liquid crystal display" ROFL. It stayed there for 6 days, too; then a couple of days ago, the water mysteriously escaped and voila, a dry display. And the best thing was that the pedometer never quit working. (I was all prepared to order another one, as this step-walking is addictive!) So I'm here to tell ya that the Omron HJ-112 can take a "drown" and keep on counting down. {Hardee-har-har, LOL}

On the homestead scene, the most exciting thing that happened to me this past week was that I had a snake sighting a bit too close to, well, home. I usually open our garage door for awhile every day so that the breeze can waft through and cool it off a bit...it's usually like a sauna in there, which sucks cuz I moved my rocking dhair in there to take my smoke breaks and I let the dogs go in there with me so they can visit with me on the breaks. To them, it's not a sauna; it's cooler since they live out on the back porch.

Well, I got in my car in the driveway to run errands and closed the garage door with the opener remote on my car visor. When I returned, I thought to open the garage door back up with the remote. When I did, a big-ass snake, every bit 3 feet long, was hanging from the door as it was coming up. I was just dumbfounded. So, instead of jumping out of my car to see where it would slither to, I just sat there. I finally got enough snap to get out and I think he went off the side of the driveway and under the fence into the neighbor's back yard. And so my day and week went on, but of course I battled my imagination all week about the dang thing being around here again, LOL. I finally got so tired of being worried about it that I decided he could just bite me and be done with it if that was to be. Finally got some peace from that creepy-crawly worry.

There's a pasture directly behind us that has all manner of what I call town wildlife: snakes, cow ants, field mice, skunks, possums, rabbits. This is the first house I've lived in that has given me encounters with nature's critters, because a few of them invariably make their way onto our property and venture up on the porch, even into the house on rare occasions. I've had 2 previous snake sdventures. The first one was when they'd mowed the pasture and that stirred up all the critters, and a snake got into our house and found himself a perch on our wall oven. Missy and I were in the kitchen chatting away about something, when I happened to rest my eyes over on the oven and saw him. OMG, you cannot imagine the freaking out we both did. SAhe ran and woke her dad up, so in he comes all grumpy and mean, takes some tongs and grabs the snake and walks him out to the back fence and throws him back out into the field. That's one wonderful thing about Hubs -- he's a brave man. Missy and I still shudder in unison whenever we remember that, LOL.

The second episode was one fall when it got cool suddenly one evening. The field got mowed for the winter and once again the critters got stirred up (and confused, if you ask me). A snake found its way up onto the back porch light at our back door. It was a heat source, I guess. I'm walking back into the house and just happen to see him. Once again, Hubs was asleep and no one there to help me. So, I get a pair of sharp garden shears to try to pinch his head off with. He tries to avoid me and slithers his head under the wiring pipe to the light, then he gets stuck there, luckily for me. This allowed me to run into the house and get my Gopher tool (I've also gotten snakes out of our pool using the Gopher...very versatile tool, I have 2 of them). Armed with that to pinch him securely and hold him down, I was able to cut his head off and may I say I enjoyed that, LOL).

I've also had a handful of snake-in-the-pool adventures that I'm not even counting...quite frankly, I'd love to forget them, LOL.

No comments: