Why Cats Need 9 Lives....

Sunday, September 23, 2007

I Put Some Junk in my Trunk

Fast Food Follies and Loose Caboose Jollies
Oh, yes, I confess. I committed total junk food whoring last night.

And I didn't even really enjoy it. That's the sad part. Dangit.

Since I don't go into details about my daily bread feed, you may not know that I usually hit McD's or WhataBurger or BK about once a week, if I've been good, and if I have not eaten much that day. WhataBurger has been the most frequently-visited, as their burgers taste homemade to me. If I'm craving fries, it's McD's, and if I'm trying to stay halfway healthy, it's BK Dollar Menu for only the burger. So far it hasn't presented a problem. Yup, coulda eaten better, but I usually enjoy the transgression, so it's been worth it to me. I get the Junk Food Craving out of my system, and a renewed motivation for self-discipline goes into my system.

Last night started out that same old way, but my problem was I could not decide where to go. So, I got it into my head to get fries and a shake at McD's and a burger at BK.

Well, big mistake. Shoulda gone to WhataBurger as they never disappoint, LOL. I think I'm done with McD's. The fries were horrible, but did I throw 'em out, oh no, I ate almost all of them and also the shake. And I chose the wrong burger at BK. I got a Rodeo Burger when I shoulda gotten a Whopper Jr. The Rodeo burger sucks, ok? IMO, that is. And I should know, I ate every bite.

Sheesh. It's like when you save up fifty bucks and then just totally blow it on ridiculousness. Yes, you shoulda just put it into savings, but if it had to be spent, at least it coulda been bought something enjoyable or valuable. Ya know?

All I'm gonna add to this is that in a Perfect World, Subway would be open 24 hours and have a drive-thru window...

Ten Super Foods
My girl Noelia blogged a list the other day of the Top Ten Super Foods that her DH told her about, and I was really glad, cuz I've heard there was a list but you have to buy the book to get it and so I've remained clueless. Til now.

Well, maybe not totally clueless. I see now that I could have probably guessed about half of these foods. In fact, a few of them I've even blogged about here. And there's a couple of foods I would add, although I'm not a nutritionist of course. I just read and watch the news.

Here's the list Noelia posted:

1- Ground Flax Seed
2- Carrots
3- Quinoa
4- Almonds
5- Green Tea
6- Blueberries
7- Garlic
8- Parsley
9- Lemons
10- Lentils

Green tea - Check! Lemons - Check! Garlic - Check! Almonds - Check! Flax - Check! (I actually keep some whole seed in the freezer and sprinkle on every salad I eat).

The rest, I did not realize they were Super. We usually have carrots and I prefer to eat them raw, so that's good. I'd heard that blueberries are really good for you, but down here they are hard to find fresh and pretty, and I doubt that frozen ones give the same benefit.

Parsley? Ok. Lentils? Ok. Quinoa? What the heck? Is that a grain? I'll have to google that one and read up on it. (Done. Click here for a great edumacation on it. And OMG, the health benefits are speaking to me, will have to get some. Soon.) And here's a good place to start for recipes using quinoa.

I heard on the news last week that Avocados are now considered fabulous nutritionally (recent research). And I've read that Cherries are, too.

Anyway, that's the list. I'm going to try to add a couple of these to my diet and play it safe. For instance, I was just thinking the other day I needed to get a stash of dried beans and keep some cooked up and frozen for quick and nutritious meals when nothing else looks good. I don't know about you, but I love beans, especially in a soup. I'll be looking into lentil and quinoa recipes. I already saw a Quinoa and pinto bean recipe. Cool. And what about breads?????? To be continued...

1 comment:

Laurel said...

I'm chuckling at the title of your post. I've had a few "dietary indescretions" this week-end; good to know I'm not alone!

How interesting about the lentils! I'll have to make some soup.