Why Cats Need 9 Lives....

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Missy's Quick Trip Home

She and Hubs left about an hour ago to return her to college, but we got a short but very sweet visit with her. I sure do love my girl! Hubs went yesterday around lunchtime to get her and she had a doctor's appointment here late in the afternoon. She brought her dirty laundry home to do and we spent time chatting and catching up while she washed, dried and folded. Then we all went out to eat Mexican food at our favorite little place in the next town south across the Hartman Bridge. We enjoyed Margaritas (I like mine on the rocks with a sugar rim), the it was pig-out time. Missy was in an enchilada mood, Hubs got their sampler plate (one of almost everything!), and I opted for beef fajitas for one. The dinners were fabulous. No one complained (and that is a rarity, lol). Although our stomachs were stretched at this point, we ordered sopapillas and coffee. Hmm, I must be spoiled by our homemade brew and eats, but I've had better on both counts. Still, it filled that tiny little hole that was crying for sugar carbs (oh, why not just a total on slot of carbs), and we left happy, even though we were literally having a bit of trouble walking, LOL. Missy said it was the fullest she'd been since she left for school (I suspected as much).

Once back home, I forced everyone to assist in getting this photo, although I shouldn't have bothered Hubs. It's kinda fuzzy, out of focus. That's his specialty, unfortunately.
You need Dramamine to watch videos he's taken, seriously. Even sadder, the camera was on the tripod when he snapped it. Next time I will use the camera's timer. At any rate, I'm grateful for the photo. Can you see how wiped out we were? Note to self: next time, use the timer and take the photos prior to any carb-feasts....

That photo shows my new hairdo. Last week, I decided it was too long. I wanted it off my neck, so I chopped it off myself with the aid of the bathroom mirrors (they are wall cabinet door fronts and when you open the doors, you get all angles). I figured I'd screw it up and then I'd have to go get a haircut, but I actually did a great job, even in the back! Not that I want to cut it regularly, though. Once in a blue moon is enough for me. I really appreciated Missy being home though. She always flat-irons my hair before we go out, and I've been missing her. I got a welcome ironing yesterday, LOL, so I wanted to record the new look.

I had planned to compile my steps since I began and bring my weekly averages up to date. I think I only blogged about the first week's numbers and gosh, I think I'm on Week 5 or 6 by now. I will try and get time to do that for next post. Except for yesterday's dinner, I've actually been a good girl, still working to whittle back off that 5-pound gain. This morning I totally expected to have gained even more, but wonder of wonders I have lost another half a pound from Wednesday!

I hate to say this and jinx it but my BadKarmaFest just might be over. Gosh, I hope so!

Last week I fixed my version of chicken spaghetti, and we had some leftovers of it, so Missy had a small bowl of it before she left today, and she loved it. We all do. And it's even yummier eaten as leftovers. So, I'm gonna attempt to record the recipe here, even though I don't have it written down anywhere. I will bold the ingredients for you, but be forewarned: none of them really have a set amount. This is about mixing ingredients to get a consistency you like, and also to cook like you usually do to get the tastes you like.

The secret to this is leftover cooked chicken, and Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup, with the noodles strained out (I don't use them in the dish, so trash or snack on 'em, your choice, lol). Okay, you shred or cut your de-boned cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces and put aside. Then, you pour the soup broth in a pasta-boiling-sized pot, along with enough water to boil your noodles/pasta/spaghetti in, then set to boiling and then cook your noodles. While that's cooking, you need to chop up some celery and onion, saute them in a pan with olive oil and butter, then add some garlic powder and the chicken. Cover and heat through on low. When the noodles are done, you want to drain them, keeping 1 and 1/2 cups of the broth water. (I set a 2-cup pyrex measuring cup in the sink, hold a strainer/colander over it and then pour my noodles and liquid in the colander. Aim also for the pyrex and it will fill up). Then, take your empty noodle pot and combine the noodles and the chicken mixture, and mix together in the pot real good with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a small drained can of sliced mushrooms. Do this on the stove on a low burner. Mix thoroughly while slowly working in some saved broth water, the exact amount depends on the amounts of chicken and noodles you have used. You are seeking a good consistency, creamy but also a bit watery (you will see why in a minute). When you have that mixed to your liking, get a pyrex casserole dish big enough for your mixture and line the bottom with restaurant-style tortilla chips. Then layer on all the mixture. Then layer on a generous topping of grated cheese. Bake covered in a preheated 350F oven for 20-30 minutes or until heated through and bubling. Take the cover off and cook 10 minutes or so more. This stuff is delicious and goes well with garlic bread or even cornbread. The chips get super soggy as they soak up the extra water, and give it a wonderful flavor twist, a lot like King Ranch Chicken. And there is alot of salt in the soups and the chips, so I would wait to salt and pepper it at the table.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Awww Aimeslee your daughter is beautiful and so are you! I love your new hairdo. Gosh, it takes talent to cut off your own hair. I had cut my own hair once and went to the hairdresser to fix it but she knew right away without my having to tell her what I did.

I'm glad you were able to spend time with your daughter. Your daughter looks very lovely!!

Glad to hear your Bad Karma Fest is now over. . .

Maria